Will the game be exciting?

I have not gotten the early-access game (that's a whole philosophical discussion that's off-topic) but once I heard there was going to be another Guild game I got very excited, started looking at let's plays and reviews and...

I think Game Gamut's from Sep 29th ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iq6YVV8lqTs ) summarized a lot of the stuff I'm getting nervous about. But here it is in my own words - as someone who would Love to see this game release and succeed and eat up all my time.

The awesome thing in The Guild (for me) was the RP, the developing dynasty, story, intrigue.. Building was a cool backdrop but I have City Skylines, Tropico, The Sims. This game had tension, as you fought for a rank and bribed and back-stabbed your way through it. You tried to position yourself to the best locations and to cut your rivals out of the competition. It was an awesome concept. Perfect? Not even close, the bugs that were allowed to slip through should make the QA of that team clutch their heads if they were actually missed, and the producers should hang their heads in shame if they were not missed and allowed to go out that way. The bugs eventually killed it for me. But the idea was cool.

I'm looking through what this game is going to be (I'm assuming this will not repeat the 'ship a buggy game' issue) and... I love the secret societies. Sounds fantastic. But.. I'm not hearing enough about the tension? Could you talk more about that? About developing stories, individualized characters who 'grow', and so on?

Is the XP=titles a placeholder for the actual game, like the insta-marriage placeholder? (Since I'm sure there's no one there thinking 'yes, a farmer that sits back and farms all day will eventually be king, cause everyone will recognize the greatness of his pumpkins')

Are there going to be traits and other things to make characters feel 'unique'? (Not an original problem, this has been solved since the days of Sims Medieval and long before in fact)

What will the 'challenge' be, the dynamic tension that will be layered through so the game doesn't become Farmville3D / 'you kill 100 boars and then you kill 100 more'?

I'm not trying to be snarky here, genuinely curious what the vision is for the game. I can see the skeleton here, it looks solid enough, but I'm curious about the muscles being planned for it and then the decorations on those muscles that will make me crave and remember this game. Will you be slipping in deep and controversial concepts like in This War of Mine and Frostpunk? Immersive social webs and NPCs like Crusader Kings 2 and Dwarf Fortress? Personalities depth like Sims or Redshirt? What's the planned 'meat' of this game beyond the IP it is pulling from?

Producer & "The Guild" Veteran
    Hello Noctifer,

let me try to give you a brief overview.

The vision of The Guild 3 is a mixture of the gameplay of The Guild 1 and The Guild 2 plus some new features. We keep most of the roleplay elements of The Guild 2, while using only one avatar instead of three. But, like in The Guild 1 ("Europa 1400 - The Guild"), you are not forced to do most of the gameplay actions with your avatar.
    The dynasty becomes more important and not the single character. But while wealth, experience and skills are connected to the dynasty as a whole, the single characters have own attributes and equipment and they can have an office in their city.

I can assure you that you still can - and should - use intrigues especially in politics as well as in the interactions between dynasties. And you can still form alliances with other dynasties or start feuds.
    One of the new features in The Guild 3 is the "Dynasty Trade", with which you can trade all possible kinds of values between your dynasty and another dynasty, like businesses, reputation and own (second born) children, up to even hostages.
    Last but not least, roleplay is still part of The Guild 3, but not a must-have like in The Guild 2. You can do almost everything in roleplay, or you choose to play more strategical and use actions like the "Dynasty Trade" instead of roleplay interactions.

Basing on the feedback and ideas of the fans, The Guild 3 will have a enhanced economy. Especially a better Master AI and trade route system. We are aware that players of the EA face trouble with the economy at the moment, especially with the Master AI of businesses as well as with trading routes. We are working on that.

Best regards

Quote Originally Posted by Scandal View Post
    Hello Noctifer,

let me try to give you a brief overview.

The vision of The Guild 3 is a mixture of the gameplay of The Guild 1 and The Guild 2 plus some new features. We keep most of the roleplay elements of The Guild 2, while using only one avatar instead of three. But, like in The Guild 1 ("Europa 1400 - The Guild"), you are not forced to do most of the gameplay actions with your avatar.
    The dynasty becomes more important and not the single character. But while wealth, experience and skills are connected to the dynasty as a whole, the single characters have own attributes and equipment and they can have an office in their city.

I can assure you that you still can - and should - use intrigues especially in politics as well as in the interactions between dynasties. And you can still form alliances with other dynasties or start feuds.
    One of the new features in The Guild 3 is the "Dynasty Trade", with which you can trade all possible kinds of values between your dynasty and another dynasty, like businesses, reputation and own (second born) children, up to even hostages.
    Last but not least, roleplay is still part of The Guild 3, but not a must-have like in The Guild 2. You can do almost everything in roleplay, or you choose to play more strategical and use actions like the "Dynasty Trade" instead of roleplay interactions.

Basing on the feedback and ideas of the fans, The Guild 3 will have a enhanced economy. Especially a better Master AI and trade route system. We are aware that players of the EA face trouble with the economy at the moment, especially with the Master AI of businesses as well as with trading routes. We are working on that.

Best regards
    Thank you very much for the reply - the Dynasty Trade does sound intriguing, especially if there is an option to do it via the avatar as well - for me personally I like the immersion aspect of games, 'being there'. Not always, in games like Tropico the avatar is forgettable, but in games likes this where the main draw is envisioning yourself growing through these scenarios. Thank you for keeping that as an option.

The bit about 'experience and skills are connected to the dynasty as a whole' are still not quite sitting quite-right. The thematic vehicle is that your dynasty is being embodied through a single avatar, that avatar being 'the driving force of your dynasty' so it is hard to stretch the metaphor past that 'farmer grows pumpkins and becomes king' imagery. In CK2 it works because you're actively reminded that you are the leader of a bunch of people and so their successes are all rolling into yours. In Skylines you may be 'the mayor' but there is a constant obvious metaphor of 'these businesses and citizens are prospering because of your actions so that's why you are advancing'. But I could very well be wrong and it may be that you are able to fit this into your vision of the game, and maybe you have a mechanism in there to highlight to the pumpkin farmer that his family is prospering and coming home, paying homage to him, getting advice from him, and the 'experience' is a measure of their success that is carrying his name further and further. If the player is seeing it, then its happening.

I am looking forward to watching the development of this game and seeing how you carry out this vision, and playing it closer to release. Wishing you all the best and thanks again for the reply!