TO THE DEVS: Here is how you fix trade routes

Alright, devs, so I know that you are bound to have some coding associated with the trade routes that works along these lines. My advice is to put it in the UI so that we can access these parameters. I will say that my programming experience is minimal, but maybe have a button on trade routes that says "Advanced..." and allows for these parameters:

IF:
    (item) inventory > (value)
    (item) inventory < (value)
    (item) market price > (value)
    (item) market price < (value)
    (item) market inventory > (value)
    (item) market inventory < (value)

...And then allow users to specify a string of these parameters:
    THEN:
    (item) load (value)
    (item) unload (value)
    goto (location)

In the case of warehouses, it would also be good, although more difficult to implement, to allow delivery routes along these lines:

load (wheat) ALL
    goto (pub1) <-- not an actual value, but a specified business
    IF (wheat < 40), unload (wheat) (40-pub1.inventory)
    goto (pub2)
    IF (wheat < 40), unload (wheat) (40-pub2.inventory)
    goto (pub3)
    IF (wheat < 40), unload (wheat) (40-pub3.inventory)

If the targeted value (40 in the present example) could be adjusted, then this would allow carts from a warehouse to supply multiple businesses of the same type so that they have enough of that material to continue production without filling up the first stop or starving the last one. In this manner, you could keep all of your businesses stocked from the things produced at your farms, for example, and have a separate trade route that is responsible for selling any excess to the market (IF (wheat > 200), load (wheat.inv - 200), goto (market), unload (all)).

So please, devs, if you are listening...
    If you can allow users to adjust these kinds of parameters, then it will allow for trade routes that don't need to be adjusted every five minutes. Lousy AI managers won't be an issue. Players will be able to manage more than 4 businesses by themselves, and a clever player could manage as many as they like without being spammed with how production has been interrupted or how inventory is full.

If anyone has rebuttals or additional suggestions, feel free to add.

Being able to set up trade routes so that does not lead to a constant interruption of production is essential in the game, and was not something that was available in the previous Guild games.
    I believe your solution would be very effective because your cart will only gather new items when an event is triggered (when your supply drops below a certain number) rather than the previous model where it was a static number that was constantly gathered after a fixed amount of time, which led to either a shortage or overstocking of items.
    The only improvements I would suggest would be based on whether or not they continue to use storage slots to hold inventory at a building. If they do, I would suggest the following:

1. Have a way to limit/reserve how many storage slots are to hold a specific item. In other words, have a way to set how many storage slots will be set aside to be filled with 1 specific item, such as Iron. This will allow you to make sure there are always storage slots available for the items you want, and will make sure that you do not overstock any specific item.

For example. You click on a Blacksmith you own. Under the buildings management options you chose to limit/reserve storage slots. You pick Iron as an item to limit/reserve. You select to reserve/limit 1 storage slot for Iron. From that time forward until changed, Iron can only be placed in that 1 storage slot at your Blacksmith. You will not be able to place Iron in any other storage slot at that Blacksmith other than the 1 storage slot you set to limit/reserve for Iron. Also, the 1 storage slot that you selected to reserve/limit for Iron can only be filled with Iron, even if there is no Iron currently in your Blacksmith.

2. Be to be able to set up an "Automatic Resupply Route" with your carts. How this would work is that you would select a cart, chose the option to set up an "Automatic Resupply Route", chose a building to automatically resupply, chose the item you want resupplied, chose the building to gather items from, and then be able to have the option to repeat this process by picking another item to resupply, picking another building to gather items from, and so on until you have your cart resupplying all the items you want for the building. What the cart would then do is go the building that it is gathering items from, and upon the carts arrival at the building it is gathering items from the cart will automatically calculate how many items to gather so that it could reach the number of items needed to fill the reserved storage slots for that specific item at that time. The cart would then load that number of items (or at least however many it could carry or however much is available), then go back to the building that is being resupplied and unload all of the items, then go to the next building in the sequence of orders, and repeat the process.
    You will notice that you do not select any quantities in this entire process, because the computer will automatically calculate how much you need to reach your pre-set storage slot limit for a specific item.

For example: you have a Blacksmith that needs Iron and Wood. You have set your storage slots so that 1 storage slot is reserved/limited for Iron, and 1 slot has been reserved/limited for Wood. Lets say that each storage slot can hold 60 items. You own a Mine that produces Iron, and you own a Woodcutter Hut that produces Wood. You select a cart and click on the option to set up an "Automatic Resupply Route". You chose the Blacksmith as the building to be resupplied, you chose Iron as the item to be resupplied, you chose your Mine as the building to gather Iron from, you then chose to resupply another item for your Blacksmith, you choose to resupply Wood, you chose your Woodcutter Hut as the building to gather Wood from, you chose not to resupply any more items. Your cart will then go to the Mine. At the time of the cart's arrival, it will calculate how much Iron you have in your Blacksmith. Lets say at that moment you had 37 units of Iron in your Blacksmith. The cart will then gather 23 units of Iron to reach the storage limit of 60, go to the Blacksmith, and unload all of the Iron. The cart will then go to the Woodcutter Hut. At the time of the cart's arrival, it will calculate how much Wood you have in your Blacksmith. Lets say at that moment you had 2 units of wood in your Blacksmith. Your cart would gather 58 units of wood, but can only hold 40 units of an item. Thus the cart gathers 40 units of Wood, returns to the Blacksmith, and unloads all of the Wood. The cart then goes to the Mine to gather Iron, and so on...

This would allow you to make sure you would always have storage slots available for the items you want in a building, and would allow it to automatically be supplied to its maximum storage limit without overstocking.
    Last edited by bdkenney29; 02-08-2016 at 20:06.

Here is another alternative that provides a simpler solution:

If they have a similar set up in the Guild III to the Guild II where you can have the AI manage the building, and if they have the option keep raw materials on hand for 24 hours of production (or perhaps an option to keep enough raw materials on hand to fill 1 storage slot), then they could have the following options as to where the cart gathers the materials from:
    1. Only from buildings you own.
    2. Only from buildings you or another dynasty own.
    3. From buildings you own, another dynasty owns, or the market in your city
    4. Only from the market in your city.
    5. Anywhere.

Ultimately, there needs to be a way to make it so that you can automatically have supplies gathered from buildings you own so you do not have to pay a fortune to keep your buildings supplied, and take advantage of using raw materials you produce.

How they would make it so the AI knows which materials to gather would be a question for the programmers. And this solution still leaves you at the mercy of hoping the AI knows what to do. However, if it worked, it would be a simple solution for users, and would hopefully solve the issue of resupplying your buildings and eliminate the constant stream of "Production Interrupted" messages.

That would definitely be a very user-friendly way to go about it. It would be nice to have multiple tabs for the trade route for basic and advanced instructions, depending on the player. I think that the way you proposed would be good for the player who is starting out or a bit overwhelmed. However, I think it would still leave some open issues for things like the quantity of an item in storage. If we take the example of weak beer from TG2, it requires wheat and fruit or ethanol. If the market (or your storage) runs out of fruit, but has an ample supply of wheat, then your stores at the business would soon be overflowing with wheat, unless you do something to micromanage the route. But, well, I suppose that if there were simple solutions to these problems, then they would have been solved in TG2.

Quote Originally Posted by Rayune View Post
    That would definitely be a very user-friendly way to go about it. It would be nice to have multiple tabs for the trade route for basic and advanced instructions, depending on the player. I think that the way you proposed would be good for the player who is starting out or a bit overwhelmed. However, I think it would still leave some open issues for things like the quantity of an item in storage. If we take the example of weak beer from TG2, it requires wheat and fruit or ethanol. If the market (or your storage) runs out of fruit, but has an ample supply of wheat, then your stores at the business would soon be overflowing with wheat, unless you do something to micromanage the route. But, well, I suppose that if there were simple solutions to these problems, then they would have been solved in TG2.
    That is why I hope they implement something closer to the first suggestion. The ability to manually limit how many storage slots can be used for a specific item would eliminate the issue of overstocking a building. Then to have an automatic trade route in which the quantity picked up is dependent on how many of that item is needed to fill the number of storage spaces you have limited to that specific item. This would solve the issue of having to manually move/load carts to resupply a business.
    Ultimately, I am hoping the developers go with this method of allowing a player to manually limit how many storage slots can be used for items in a building, and to manually set up their trade routes rather than having an AI do it, as there is no control as to what the AI will actually do.

Suggestion on how to solve the issue of ressuplying buildings

I have been a fan of the Mega modpack for the Guild 2 Renaissance developed by Fajeth and a few others. It has brought many improvements and new features to the game. They recently released a version that included a new method for trade routes that allow you to set waypoints for your cart, determine if the cart should stay to finish loading or unloading to its maximum, and most importantly, a way to resupply buildings up to a specified amount of resources. I would strongly encourage the developers of the Guild 3 take a look at this method and do something similar to it, because without it, managing businesses, especially when you have 10 or more, was extremely difficult and time consuming.

I don't understand why it should stay/be so un-intuitive - why not have a huge menu pop up (encompassing almost the enitre screen) displaying all your businesses , what they have in stock, as well as their assigned carts. Then trade routes can be assigned using drag & drop much more intuitively, compared to 1. clicking on business A, 2. clicking on ressource R, 3. clicking on the action to be performed etc. (the way it is in guild 2.)

Your suggestions, making it more detailed, as well as such an interface would be great.

Quote Originally Posted by bdkenney29 View Post
    I have been a fan of the Mega modpack for the Guild 2 Renaissance developed by Fajeth and a few others. It has brought many improvements and new features to the game. They recently released a version that included a new method for trade routes that allow you to set waypoints for your cart, determine if the cart should stay to finish loading or unloading to its maximum, and most importantly, a way to resupply buildings up to a specified amount of resources. I would strongly encourage the developers of the Guild 3 take a look at this method and do something similar to it, because without it, managing businesses, especially when you have 10 or more, was extremely difficult and time consuming.
    True. Having implemented that feature I can say that there's still some features missing from that trading route system. There should be an overview over the routes of any given business. And they should be editable afterwards. And they need to at least display the current configuration of a route. And setting a route on pause would be nice.

Some of that stuff would still be possible to do in TG2, but it's a bit of a hassle. And who really wants to go through ten different dialogue pop-ups to set up a route? However, I do think that (apart from comfort/usability) the implemented system is very versatile. The one thing missing may be "Load items only above some threshold".

I do hope that trading routes in TG3 won't be as bugged and useless as in TG2 vanilla.