Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    Community Leader
    Ritter des 12. Kelches

Aquanox Deep Descent ideas and suggestions

Hi everybody!

In this thread we'd like to collect all your ideas, suggestions and wishes for the next part of the Aquanox series. Therefore please post carefully here, only add precise suggestions and create new threads for any discussions about your ideas.

If we manage to keep this thread tidy, we'll be able to give Nordic and especially the developers a quick overview of all the ideas of the community.

Please make the game more like Archimedean dynasty and less like the aquanox sequels. I wouldn't mind in the slightest if they were completely ignored. The story for AD was so rich and immersive but the aquanox sequels just felt cheesy and tacky.

Very excited about this game

Cheers from Aquanox fan

I always was captivated by the world of Aqua, especially the undersea life, in monstrous form of Schax - for example. The qiant squids, deep sea fish Crocell, gigantic Forneus...

But there was one problem - sea mosnters were a tiny bit of a game, and even announced (in one of the dialogues) hunt for liopleurodon was cut.

Is there any chance that world of upcoming game will be full of marine life, especially with sea monsters of some sorts?

We are actually working on finding the best balance between the previous games set in the world of Aqua. Obviously, we are very early in development so it's hard to specify to what it is closer. I'd rather say, we're trying our best to go the golden middle road, picking the best out of them all and putting it in a neat package.

Some of those things down there are insane, and considering we have yet to explore our oceans, and considering zoological phenomena like deep-sea gigantism, who knows what might be down there?

The question of monsters however is something that we are still brainstorming over a lot. One thing is certain though, that we definitely want a lot of marine life in the game, both in therms of flora but as well as fauna.
    Last edited by NorbertDA; 24-09-2014 at 11:00.

Quote Originally Posted by NorbertDA View Post
    We are actually working on finding the best balance between the previous games set in the world of Aqua. Obviously, we are very early in development so it's hard to specify to what it is closer. I'd rather say, we're trying our best to go the golden middle road, picking the best out of them all and putting it in a neat package.

Some of those things down there are insane, and considering we have yet to explore our oceans, and considering zoological phenomena like deep-sea gigantism, who knows what might be down there?

The question of monsters however is something that we are still brainstorming over a lot. One thing is certain though, that we definitely want a lot of marine life in the game, both in therms of flora but as well as fauna.
    FANTASTIC! Thank you so much that world of Aqua will be even more interesting than before, especially in terms of marine life. I hope that players will get a chance to hunt some REALLY big fish.

The first game I have ever played was AquaNox and I am a massive fan of it. It was lacking a huge number of elements like a better trade system, a better storyline, less cheesy dialogues, less announced but non-existent features, more variety of guns etc. but I still loved it.
    So some good ideas would be to add a variety of weapons in a way similar to Borderlands 2. Trade can be made better too, and most importantly, the storyline can be made less linear. Aqua is too vast for a linear game.

We are aware of those handicaps that you mentioned.
    In fact, the focus of Aquanox: Deep Descent as a reboot is exactly on improving those elements of the previous games that you as players and we as developers find unsatisfying.

Thanks for your ideas and suggestions, we will keep them in mind!

Also, please visit our blogsite at www.aquanox.com, and our facebook page at https://www.facebook.com/AquaNoxOfficial, I'm sure you will find more interresting info there!
    Last edited by ViktorDA; 13-10-2014 at 09:04.

Quote Originally Posted by NorbertDA View Post

I'm thrilled to learn of the plans to revive the AD franchise and I wish you guys all the luck in the world!

As far as marine life is concerned: One the basic premises of AD which goes often overlooked is that mankind is surviving in a world without any meaningful solar energy. In our world today, 99,99% of biological processes are fueled by the sun in some way or another. Aqua, however, is sealed off from the sun via the POM layer, and humans have to make do with what few other sources of energy they have: principally nuclear and geothermal. Surviving on these two is tough. The creators of the original game have gone to great lengths making sense of this dark world - look at all the thought they put into how a subaquanean resource economy would work, from the nitrogen diggers at Cape Verde to the protein production at the geothermal vents of Galapagos. Not all of their reckoning is sound, but keep in mind that when the game was created in the Nineties, this stuff was cutting-edge science - the seminal paper "The Deep Hot Biosphere" wasn't written until 1992.

I'm not saying a sequel would have to stick religiously to this universe - for what it's worth, I believe the creators of AD simply weren't able to believably depict realize marine life in their 3D engine, so they made its absence part of the story - but the scientifically plausible and thoughtful construction of the universe was part of what made AD so fascinating and engaging. Now, deep-sea monsters, though certainly impressive, would require a LOT of energy - energy that probably wouldn't be there in a sunless world.

For me, the somber realism is what made the original game so good. AD was fantastic in creating a doomed and dark world whose very existence was precarious. This is a large part of what was missing in AN and AN2, where it was replaced with a flashy, arcade-style atmosphere, and I think that goes some way in explaining why the successors weren't so well received. My suggestion for the sequel is so build and expand on the realism of the first game, and integrate it into the gameplay. Technology has come a long way since then and allows game elements which would not have been possible back then. Among them:

- Lighting could be a huge factor. I would suggest to dynamically remove natural light from the game engine as the player goes deeper, and at depth have only artificial light sources. Of course the area around habitats would be brightly lit. In other areas, lights from ships would be the only source, and they could be switched off in stealth mode. That doesn't mean that the pilot would have to be blind - for instance, sonar echoes could be visually displayed on the HUD of the ship. The HUD could even display unidentified echoes like "blips", requiring the pilot to go nearer and take risks in identifying the target. Lights on or off? Risk being discovered, or risk a nasty surprise when you get there? Perhaps deploy a camera drone to take a closer look?

- Similarly, I suggest working out a proper sound simulation. In submarine warfare, silence is key. You win only if you remain undiscovered a fraction longer than your opponent. In the original game, this was somewhat part of gameplay, but it was never believable. You could use a current to sneak past enemy guntowers, but... you were clearly there and they could clearly see you, so why didn't they just fire anyway? In darkness and silence, in a much larger world, this could become a very intense part of gameplay. Even things like stirring up sediment to hide on the ground, to ambush a transport or enemy ship could be possible. 3D audio is another technological feature that could be used quite innovatively. Switch off your lights and sonar and just listen to where the enemy submarine is located.

- Make the environment feel hostile. Humans aren't adapted to a subaquanean life. Everything down there is out to kill us, be it the immense pressure, limited field of view, oxygen deprivation, spatial orientation or constriction of space. In underwater combat, people would try to use these to the detriment of their opponent. You could use a flashbang to disorient your enemy, produce targeted noises with your onboard cannon to get them on the wrong track, disable their propellers by hunting them into sediment, etc. Make the world part of the gameplay! I admit there is a tension there between the wide and open ocean where you can freely move in all three dimensions, and the narrow confines of your ship where you are trapped in a tiny bubble of air thousands of meters below the surface. It's tough to simulate the former and make the game feel like the latter, but this sense of claustrophobia and hostility should be key to a believable game ambience.

Anyway, I'm sure you'll come up with a fantastic game, I'm very much looking forward to playing it, and to dive into the depths of Aqua once more.

Best greetings

Hello there!

Thank you for your insightful response!

As I have mentioned in one of the earlier posts, we find it important to sort out the satisfying and
    unsatisfying elements in AN and AN2. Keep the former, remove or change the latter.

One of our key goals is to find a rational balance between all of the elements including but not limited
    to the actual combat, weapons, tactics, lighting, defenses, non-combat elements, resource gathering
    and so on.

Some elements can be awesome if they are isolated, but can be totally redundant if they are implemented with others.

As for the lighting and sneaky-tactical combat, I can only say that players will usually be given the option to enter a zone guns blazing, mindlessly firing their missiles and torpedoes or the other polar option which is the sneaky peaky tactical approach.
    Naturally, both approaches have their pros and cons.

Also make sure that you check our blog site at www.aquanox.com and our facebook page at https://www.facebook.com/AquaNoxOfficial, you will find more interesting game related things there!

Hello again,

Here are some suggestion from me.

Please don't focus on multiplayer, unless you have a better understanding of multiplayer than me, but I'm affraid if this is going to be a deathmatch Counterstrike in submarines I don't think I will buy it.

A story oriented role-playing approach like in the previous games could be expanded with branching storylines and sidequests, note that with role-playing I don't mean dicerolling statbased gameplay.
    An openworld approach like in Wing Commander Privateer or the X games where you can go and visit underseastations and do some trading or sign up for a mission while leaving the main storyline for the moment so the player can earn some money for ship upgrades.

From the three games in the series I liked Archimedean Dynasty the most as it had the best atmosphere, I think it was because the setting was darker and it lacked voice acting for the most part but that was compensated with well written dialogues.
    I liked that while there are several factions none of them were all out bad guys, except for the Bionts and deepseamonsters, but often evil lurked in the shadows stalking for a good moment to strike or performing subversive operations to sabotage the civillian population.

Good luck with the developement, I hope these suggestions are helpful.
    Last edited by Dot Matrix; 25-10-2014 at 03:00.

Hey Dot Matrix!

We at Digital Arrow have very experienced staff members in both multiplayer and singleplayer games, therefore we hope that we will be able to find the balance between the multi and singleplayer elements, and make the game enjoyable for those enjoy playing alone, as well as for those who enjoy playing online.

Also it's worth mentioning that the major part of Aquanox multiplayer will be the co-op game mode, which is basically playing trough the singleplayer story with your friends.

Sidequests will definitely be present. If you decide to take a break from the main story for a while, you will have your options to do so.

Your approach to the factions, is similar to what we were looking at as well, but as you know, we are very early in development to say anything definitive.

Thank you for your reply and suggestions, they were indeed helpful!
    If you have any other questions, ideas, critics or anything left, please keep them comming!
    Last edited by ViktorDA; 25-10-2014 at 09:53.

Thanks for the welcome and good to hear that basically covers most of my suggestions.

Light, guys!

I also liked Archimedean Dynasty best out of the three games, because I felt it had the appropriate atmosphere for an underwater post-apocalyptic game and also the best plot (you didn't have many choices there either, but at least you HAD them, unlike the first AN).

In short:
    1. As much of an open world as possible, where you can visit underwater stations in search for side-missions, interact with different people and learn more about the History of Aqua;

2. Plausible story background (huge sea-monsters in a world deprived of life seemed a bit far-fetched for me in AN as opposed to humans trying to "recreate" an artificial ecosystem by aid of science in AD);

3. Challenging fights, yet not without satisfying control over you own ship and noticeable differences in game-play according to the ship's class;

4. Multiple viable tactical approaches for the same mission, maybe?

5. More possible ship upgrades (i really liked the idea of adding gun turrets for which you could install different software for different behaviours, like in Archimedean Dynasty )

6. Believable NPCs with good quality dialogue (multiple choices that have an ACTUAL effect on the story-line would be great!) and decent voice acting;

7. Last, but most important: I'd love it if the story would once again revolve around Emerald "Dead-eye" Flint, so please, bring Flint back! Especially along with his voice from "Archimedean Dynasty"

These are all the things I could quickly name off the top of my head, so I guess they matter the most to me. Hoping that some of them were ideas that you guys had already considered, I wish you luck and success in finishing what I'm sure will be a very enjoyable game. Cheers!

Hey rhaZ!

As we are yet in early development stage, right now I can't answer to all the points you mentioned in your post.

There will be plenty of side missions. Whenever you feel exhausted or for whatever reason you decide to take a break from the main story, you will have options to do something else.

Whether you are a casual weekend gamer or a hardcore action seeking gamer, you will find the game challenging. We are inclined to satisfy both of the extremes, and those between them. And yes, there will be of course missions which you can approach in different styles.

Ship modularity is something we emphasize on in Aquanox: Deep Descent. So I'm sure you will be able to customize your ship the way it fits you the best.
    Also make sure you read this blogpost: http://www.aquanox.com/?p=1397.
    Last edited by ViktorDA; 03-11-2014 at 11:14.

Ue4?

Hello everybody!

I'm so happy to see, that finally someone reboot this IP!

I have seen on your Facebook page, that you are currently working with the old UDK. My most important question at the moment would be if you have plans to upgrade to the new Unreal Engine 4? If not, why?

Im so thrilled about this, that I now start some 3D fan art of Aquanox

Greetings!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast