Thread: AquaNox 3

Emerald 'Deadeye' Flint GodGell's Avatar

Cool AquaNox 3

Hello!

It was by pure coincidence I stumbled upon the news that the AquaNox series was purchased by Nordic Games, with the intention of creating a new game.
    This is amazing news to me, as I've been in love with this game since I was 13 or 14 - I was astonished at seeing a few of my old posts resurrected through the parallels of time and reappearing here. In fact I was able to log into this account from 2005 on the first try!
    AquaNox was the most fascinating virtual world I've ever experienced, and one of the most plausible post-apocalyptic science fiction stories I know of. In fact, one of the manuals of the games included a timeline of the world's destabilization starting from the 21st century, through to its destruction and the eventual complete migration of the human race into undersea artificial environments. There were several events in that timeline that seem to already have started happening in the real world as of '06 (the game's original story was created around 1996)!

There truly is a lot of potential in this story and environment, especially if the immersive atmosphere of the original games is again captured. There is a small but extremely loyal community of fans still waiting for an AquaNox 3 after all these years. In the original forum where I registered this username, there were long threads of ideas and wishes and speculation about what a potential successor might be like, and a group of members even started an open-source project to try to create the next game themselves!

Long story short, I am truly amazed at the possibility that the "next game" we dreamed of so many years ago might actually become reality soon. I would be grateful if anybody could enlighten me with some up-to-date information about the state of the project! In fact I would be glad to be able to provide assistance, I am a software developer myself (incl. game development) and I spent a lot of time messing around with AquaNox 1/2 (reverse-engineering the mission scripts, creating new levels and tools etc.), plus I still know the original game universe better than a very, very large fraction of the human race, I can guarantee that.

This title is the definition of 'underrated', and I always felt the only thing it lacked (aside from a better English version of the dialogues) was some promotion. In fact, I've even seen and heard subtle references to the games in all kinds of art forms, most notably music (I know of at least 7 or 8 songs by different producers that directly sample sounds from AquaNox), and I discover new ones all the time.
    You, gentlemen, have a cult classic in your hands.

I leave you with some samples of the atmospheric soundtrack of AquaNox 2: Revelation for illustration

http://www.reflex-studio.com/_projects/an2_text.htm

PS.: I would love to be able to inform some of the old members of the community of this news and invite them to this forum. Since you have a copy of my 9-year-old user account, perhaps a message could be sent to some of the old members' e-mail addresses?
    AquaNox addict - AquaNox modder - my site

There's already a threadnought in the German forum section.

tl;dr: They're still mulling over the feasability, if they decide to follow through with it, it's probably going to be via crowdfunding.

Raconz O.D.
    AquaNox: Deep Descent was revealed at GamesCom 2014. Unfortunately the event was mainly behind closed doors and previews are only available in german. Release is expected somewhere in the last quarter of 2015.

It will feature an open underwater world with trade opportunities, heists and action-heavy battles. The campaign is said to have 4 player co-op.
    Source

Emerald 'Deadeye' Flint GodGell's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kazko View Post
    AquaNox: Deep Descent was revealed at GamesCom 2014. Unfortunately the event was mainly behind closed doors and previews are only available in german. Release is expected somewhere in the last quarter of 2015.

Source

Wow. This is freaking amazing!
    After all these years, I'm actually looking at a credible "Aquanox 3" screenshot! :o I would dearly love to work on this game, hell I'd move to wherever it's being developed to get that job. It's the game that got me interested in games development all those years ago, but it's the world that still lives in my mind.

Relatedly, just yesterday I was thinking about getting into developing a VR game, since Virtual Reality looks like it's actually about to become good enough to go mainstream now (look up the Oculus Rift DK2). My first thought of what sort of imaginary world I would want to experience "from the inside", was Aquanox. From the few VR-enabled games already out there, space sims (like Elite Dangerous) seem to be particularly well-suited to a VR experience, since you are sitting in a cockpit you can look around in. It seems like this is precisely the direction this studio wants to take (putting you inside a 'real' cockpit), I can see a huge opportunity for this being one of the first truly immersive games using VR. I can't imagine anything cooler than looking out the window of my Phobocaster to see a gigantic underwater metropolis around me. Neopolis in VR? Are you kidding??!

Coincidentally, the founder of the studio seems to be Hungarian like myself as well, which means I can understand his cryptographic secret language Do you know if they're looking for more devs?
    AquaNox addict - AquaNox modder - my site

Light to all!

It's nice to see this underrated franchise floating again (or should I say submerged ).

Are these forums the right places to throw some ideas as well?Is there a "sticky" topic for sharing some thoughts about how the game should be?

Cheers

xilef9292
    Hey Syth and welcome,

I am sorry for the late reply. You can find the sticky threat here:
    Aquanox Deep Descent ideas and suggestions
    But do not expect a fast answer, as you can see this forum is only half awake

Light
    Aqua dentes habet.