FAQ for The Guild 2 - Renaissance
Because there are occuring several questions about this addon again and again, I decided to write the answers to all of these questions down in one thread. I know, it's very late to do so, but until now I simply didn't have any time to do it.
If you have a question and the answer is not among the following answers, please feel free to ask your question into this thread, I will keep the first post up to date.
Also if anything is unclear (maybe because English is not my native language and I make many mistakes), please ask.
1. What is "The Guild 2 - Renaissance"?
The Guild 2 - Renaissance is a Standalone-AddOn for the game The Guild 2. It contains new professions, maps, buildings and countless new possibilities as well as ambience improvements.
At first we planned to make a new modification for Pirates of the European Seas (from now on PotES) but soon the mod became very big and in cooperation with JoWooD we were able to develop a fully-fledged addon.
2. Who is developing "The Guild 2 - Renaissance"?
Although some game magazines say that 4Head Studios (the original developer of The Guild 2 - 4Head doesn't exist anymore since 2008) has been revived, Renaissance is developed by Runeforge Game Studio.
Runeforge Game Studio is composed of members of this community.
3. When will "The Guild 2 - Renaissance" be released?
Releasedate for Germany and Austria is 27th of July.
Steam has listed the game to be released on 28th of July. (Link)
4. What version of "The Guild 2" will be needed in order to play Renaissance?
Renaissance is a standalone AddOn, which means that you need no other version of the game to play it.
5. Will there be a demo version?
6. Which copy protection will be used?
There will be no copy protection in any way.
7. What are the system requirements?
System requirements will be appr. as high as for the former addon, PotES, but we highly recommend at least 2GB of RAM (2.5GB if you use Windows Vista).
8. What's the developing status?
The game has reached gold-status about 2 weeks ago.
9. How long have you been working on the game?
All together more than 1.5 years, although MoK and KaiserDark have been working on some other mods of The Guild 2 before.
10. How many people are working on this game?
7 + betatester
11. How many new features have been added?
Countless. Here's a short and very incomplete list:
- 8 new professions (Mercenary, Gravedigger, Innkeeper, Stonemason, Juggler, Miller, Fruit farmer, Banker), some of them with 3 buildinglevels and indoor scenes (Merc., Fruit farmer and Miller can not be entered)
- War and imperial fame
- New maps
- The estate is back
12. How much will the game cost?
It's sold on Amazon.de for about 20 Euro
At Gamesplanet it's available for € 17,99
Answers to questions from users:
13. Will there be further patches and maybe some content updates after Renaissance is released?
Yes, of course we want to eliminate bugs and maybe add some minor features after release.
14. How about the time after Renaissance? Would you be interested in making The Guild 3?
We wouldn't say no if JoWooD asked us if we want to make The Guild 3 and everything else is fine
15. What is meant with the bigger maps and do they have an influence on performance?
Originally the maps should be much bigger than in PotES, but the game became unplayable with the bigger maps (The Guild 2 is not designed for that big maps).
However, the new maps are bigger than the maps from PotES and will provide much more room to build your buildings. The biggest map has 4 cities.
Performance is a bit better on the new maps than on the older ones since we were able to gain some performance due optimized pathfinding.
16. Which features included in the modification "BttR" are also included in Renaissance?
Some, but not all. Renaissance includes the whole project HPfZ, which was developed by MoK and KaiserDark as a sequel to their first mod BttR (HPfZ and RotP were two independend modding-projects which were combined to Renaissance).
But HPfZ was a new project so not all features of BttR were ported to HPfZ.
17. Will there be a manual?
Yes, there will be a manual that explains all new features.
18. How did you change the rogue class?
The rogue got two new professions, afaik the old professions were not changed.
19. What has been changed regarding multiplayer mode?
The MP is as stable as the MP version of patch 2.21 for PotES. If there occurs an error we will be most likely be able to fix it after we got some specific files from the host and clients of the game (all errors we encountered during tests could be fixed after we analyzed these files).
I have mentioned a new idea some time ago including a complete resync-feature after an out of sync-error appeared. This idea is not (yet) implemented and it's not clear if it can work. But we won't stop working on this issue after Renaissance is out.