+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

The Guild 2 - Renaissance FAQ

FAQ for The Guild 2 - Renaissance

Because there are occuring several questions about this addon again and again, I decided to write the answers to all of these questions down in one thread. I know, it's very late to do so, but until now I simply didn't have any time to do it.

If you have a question and the answer is not among the following answers, please feel free to ask your question into this thread, I will keep the first post up to date.
    Also if anything is unclear (maybe because English is not my native language and I make many mistakes), please ask.

1. What is "The Guild 2 - Renaissance"?
    The Guild 2 - Renaissance is a Standalone-AddOn for the game The Guild 2. It contains new professions, maps, buildings and countless new possibilities as well as ambience improvements.
    At first we planned to make a new modification for Pirates of the European Seas (from now on PotES) but soon the mod became very big and in cooperation with JoWooD we were able to develop a fully-fledged addon.

2. Who is developing "The Guild 2 - Renaissance"?
    Although some game magazines say that 4Head Studios (the original developer of The Guild 2 - 4Head doesn't exist anymore since 2008) has been revived, Renaissance is developed by Runeforge Game Studio.
    Runeforge Game Studio is composed of members of this community.

3. When will "The Guild 2 - Renaissance" be released?
    Releasedate for Germany and Austria is 27th of July.
    Steam has listed the game to be released on 28th of July. (Link)

4. What version of "The Guild 2" will be needed in order to play Renaissance?
    Renaissance is a standalone AddOn, which means that you need no other version of the game to play it.

5. Will there be a demo version?
    No.

6. Which copy protection will be used?
    There will be no copy protection in any way.

7. What are the system requirements?
    System requirements will be appr. as high as for the former addon, PotES, but we highly recommend at least 2GB of RAM (2.5GB if you use Windows Vista).

8. What's the developing status?
    The game has reached gold-status about 2 weeks ago.

9. How long have you been working on the game?
    All together more than 1.5 years, although MoK and KaiserDark have been working on some other mods of The Guild 2 before.

10. How many people are working on this game?
    7 + betatester

11. How many new features have been added?
    Countless. Here's a short and very incomplete list:
    - 8 new professions (Mercenary, Gravedigger, Innkeeper, Stonemason, Juggler, Miller, Fruit farmer, Banker), some of them with 3 buildinglevels and indoor scenes (Merc., Fruit farmer and Miller can not be entered)
    - War and imperial fame
    - New maps
    - The estate is back

12. How much will the game cost?
    It's sold on Amazon.de for about 20 Euro
    At Gamesplanet it's available for € 17,99

Answers to questions from users:

13. Will there be further patches and maybe some content updates after Renaissance is released?
    Yes, of course we want to eliminate bugs and maybe add some minor features after release.

14. How about the time after Renaissance? Would you be interested in making The Guild 3?
    We wouldn't say no if JoWooD asked us if we want to make The Guild 3 and everything else is fine

15. What is meant with the bigger maps and do they have an influence on performance?
    Originally the maps should be much bigger than in PotES, but the game became unplayable with the bigger maps (The Guild 2 is not designed for that big maps).
    However, the new maps are bigger than the maps from PotES and will provide much more room to build your buildings. The biggest map has 4 cities.
    Performance is a bit better on the new maps than on the older ones since we were able to gain some performance due optimized pathfinding.

16. Which features included in the modification "BttR" are also included in Renaissance?
    Some, but not all. Renaissance includes the whole project HPfZ, which was developed by MoK and KaiserDark as a sequel to their first mod BttR (HPfZ and RotP were two independend modding-projects which were combined to Renaissance).
    But HPfZ was a new project so not all features of BttR were ported to HPfZ.

17. Will there be a manual?
    Yes, there will be a manual that explains all new features.

18. How did you change the rogue class?
    The rogue got two new professions, afaik the old professions were not changed.

19. What has been changed regarding multiplayer mode?
    The MP is as stable as the MP version of patch 2.21 for PotES. If there occurs an error we will be most likely be able to fix it after we got some specific files from the host and clients of the game (all errors we encountered during tests could be fixed after we analyzed these files).
    I have mentioned a new idea some time ago including a complete resync-feature after an out of sync-error appeared. This idea is not (yet) implemented and it's not clear if it can work. But we won't stop working on this issue after Renaissance is out.
    Last edited by nirvana; 23-07-2010 at 10:59.

I have mentioned a new idea some time ago including a complete resync-feature after an out of sync-error appeared. This idea is not (yet) implemented and it's not clear if it can work. But we won't stop working on this issue after Renaissance is out.
    Thanks a lot

Now i ve got a big question. Is the level editor will be include with the game?

A level editor would be excellent.

If my friends buy Ren, will they also get the PoTES maps, or are they not included?

If I already have PoTES and buy Ren, will I still be able to play those maps with Ren's optimizations?

And the biggy....
    Does the "your whole conga line of saves are all corrupt!" bug still plague the game, or is it squashed?

Thanks Nirvana

The Guild series addict
    Level editor will not be included since every map is made from scratch and buildings are made in 3Ds Max.

Renaissance includes I think all the PotES maps. If it didn't, you would not be able fully use the "transferred" maps from PotES, because there would not be some things REN requires, e.g. town buildings, resources etc.

Level editor will not be included since every map is made from scratch and buildings are made in 3Ds Max
    scratch is this http://scratch.mit.edu/ ?????

Perhaps could we have a little tutorial or the possibility to choose the number and which town there are in the maps.
    For POES there is a few map with two towns... If only we can have several maps with one and two only towns we could play more in MP with a minimum of chance of OOS isn't it?

EDIT : Honnestly you ll have a very good point if you develop a small level editor... sorry to insist but a level designer community could be easily created with this tool.
    Last edited by orphee; 24-07-2010 at 10:52.

The Guild series addict
    Quote Originally Posted by orphee View Post
    scratch is this http://scratch.mit.edu/ ?????
    no, "scratch" was meant metaphorically... We you're making the map, you have to make sure people can enter the buildings, access the resources, find the right way, avoid walking through the water etc...

Perhaps could we have a little tutorial or the possibility to choose the number and which town there are in the maps.
    For POES there is a few map with two towns... If only we can have several maps with one and two only towns we could play more in MP with a minimum of chance of OOS isn't it?
    Don't worry, there will be a few (I think 3 or 4) new maps with just one or two towns on it. One of them is specifically a dueling map.

EDIT : Honnestly you ll have a very good point if you develop a small level editor... sorry to insist but a level designer community could be easily created with this tool.
    Map making would interfere with the source code and since you don't have permission from JWD to mess with the source code, it's impossible to make a map editor... Although it would be cool, I myself, would appreciate making new maps, but the the whole process would be really hard and complex...
    Last edited by Aragornil; 24-07-2010 at 11:02.

Most of the maps of PotES were ported to Renaissance, some didn't want to get ported, but they will obey (which means that we try to release them with an update).

Level Editor will never be public, I'm sorry. The editor is just nothing you can call a "proper tool", it takes months to learn how to use it and then it takes another weeks and months to make a map that doesn't crash on startup and is playable (which means: all buildings enterable, all resources available, all roads unblocked, ...)

Crashes won't invalidate all other savegames anymore.

There are some new maps with only one town
    But the chance of OoS doesn't rise with the number of towns, it's the number of dynasties.

Transfering maps from other addons (e.g. Venice) is indeed not possible. They would be unplayable.

"From scratch" means "completely from the beginning"

Hope all questions are answered

Will the Map "The Hansa" Be there? Cuse thats about the only One I car about from the old one cuse It was the biggest, I believe Bigger the better

EDIT: on maps

Not at release, the Hansa map was one of the maps that caused trouble
    But we already managed to export it so it will be included in the first update.

Yea I loved the Hansa cuse it was so big, Although I never liked that Pirate Village, Mostly cuse I hate Rouge lol. Even Though Dangiz's Bandits are evil and try to export money from my Church -_- anyways I have a never ending court case going on (no joke it paused lol)

How about post Vista Windows?

ello All,

How Will the program react for those of us with post Vista Windows systems? I look forward to playing the new version, and hope I will be able to.

Jack

According to steam this game is also made for vista so it should work the same as any other system.

let me rephrase...

post vista= XP or above

Steam says it works with windows XP and Vista.

EDIT:
    I also have a Question, What is the estate? did it hold some Cool purpose or somthing in the game??
    Last edited by Freiherr Reinhold; 25-07-2010 at 07:57.

The Guild series addict
    Technically (or linguistically) speaking, post Vista means "after Vista". After Vista is only Windows 7 and REN should work under 7.

Estate - Do you remember the expansion to the Europa 1400? You could buy or build an estate outside town, which was château-like structure, where you could do the alchemistic stuff, invent bombs etc. And you could also bombard other buildings with a canon. Well, in REN it's not like this, but it's a nice new building with an interior and a few cool features.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast