Closed Thread
Page 1 of 15 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast
    Gothic Support Guy

Solved Out Of Memory Issue on Vista (And Now XP!) - NOW OBSOLETE BY 1.7

NOW OBSOLETE - INSTALL 1.7

IMPORTANT:

Hi everyone

As of today with the release of the 1.6 communitp patch this fix has become outdated. To all who use is i recommend updating to 1.6. However, it may be needed to restore the gothic3.exe with the backup made before applying the patch or a re-install if you forgot. Sorry for the inconvenience but im sure its worth it

http://forum.jowood.com/showthread.php?t=151286

Id like to think ive helped -- but my time is up

ChessDragon136

END IMPORTANT

**Updated files can be found here
    and explanation can be found here**

Hi
    After experiencing what everyone else seems to have had with the game randomly crashing due to out of memory i decided to investigate the gothic3.exe file and was astounded to find that the file would not address more than 2GB of Total memory (Physical + Page file) I came accross this as i had similar problems with STALKER. To fix this download this file and extract it with Winrar (See end of document)
    Please run this with privilages!!
    From there copy your gothic3.exe file into that folder and run the Gothic 3 Fix file.
    Then press any key and then say Y or N (Yes or No ) to whether you are running 32 bit vista. This is because 32 bit vistas need their boot file (bcd) edited to allow more than 2gb of memory for its own use. The command is "BCDEDIT /set increaseuserva 3072" for those interested.
    NOTE: For xp please say no -- this program is not set up for xp yet. Please do this manually by:
    For XP: Edit the Boot.ini (Have forgotten where this is but someone will help me out here!!!
    On the partition with the operating system installed add "/3GB" without quotation: See http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/system...AE/PAEmem.mspx for more imformation.
    Then press any key and them when asked press a to add the line needed.
    To check this then press any key again and then v to view the exe. Scroll to near the top and there should be a line that now says "Application can handle large (>2GB) addresses" Under the heading "FILE HEADER VALUES". Then copy this exe back into the gothic 3 directory and play.
    It may also be necessary to enlarge the paging file:
    To increase the page file go to my computer -- System Properties -- Advanced system settings -- Under advanced tab click settings for performance -- Advanced tab -- Change in the virtual memory section
    Then uncheck the automatically manage my paging file size
    On the drive letter that has vista installed click custom size
    Set minimum and maximum values to 3072 and click set
    Reboot

This has stopped the following errors for me: Out of Memory, SmartHeap, C++ Runtime errors, Genome engine has stopped working and random crash outs. I hope it does the same for everyone else out there
    NOTE please make a backup of the file. It may also be necessary to use a no-cd patch as i am unsure if the tages protection will get in the way of this process (I hope i am alowed t say that on these boards).
    Tested on v1.12.
    Also to say i am using a 8800GTS and the 101.70 x64 drivers and running Vista Ultimate x64

Hope this helpes all of you having difficulties out there. Please leave feedback on success -- failure.
    Last edited by ChessDragon136; 30-03-2009 at 17:10.

so, you need more then 2 GB RAM in your PC to work ?

Gothic Support Guy
    I dont think so. Its the Total Memory avaliable for Gothic 3 to run needs to be large becasue Vista uses up a lot of memory. What needs to be done in my experiance is to set the page file to 3072mb (3GB) so it can compensate for any physical ram deficiencies -- I myself have tested this solution on 1gb of ram and it ran if not a bit jerky.

To increase the page file go to my computer -- System Properties -- Advanced system settings -- Under advanced tab click settings for performance -- Advanced tab -- Change in the virtual memory section

Then uncheck the automatically manage my paginf file size
    On the drive letter that has vista installed click custom size
    Set minimum and maximum values to 3072 and click set
    Reboot

This should help. Sorry for the confusion.

Community Leader
    Knights of the 12th chalice
    I don't know in how much the data is considered as illegal, for it changes software with copyright. However, I deleted the link for now, since the Gothic 3.exe was still in there. That one is surely not tolerated. I'm actually thinking of leaving the rest of it, but would kindly request you to remove the .exe from the package and put up the link again.

A patch that fix a game bug is illegal becouse was done by an user instead of PB?

O_o

The fix is working without the .exe?

hope you post the link again soon ChessDragon136, I can't wait to actually play G3 on my PC

Nice work btw, figuring out the problem

PS:
    So, actually there is NO WAY Gothic 3 would run on Vista (with high details), if you have "only" 2GB RAM, and don't apply the fix above !?!?
    That SHOULDN'T be normal !!

Community Leader
    Quote Originally Posted by GhostFS View Post
    A patch that fix a game bug is illegal becouse was done by an user instead of PB?

O_o

The fix is working without the .exe?
    I'm not sure on that, but as he said himself, the ZIP-file contained an executable of Gothic 3. That bit was illegal and that's why I removed the link for the moment.

Apparently the posting of the modified .exe file is illegal though. But posting the tools and a description is not. Bit weird. Therefore I uploaded the package myself again, this time without the exe. No punishment done to the original publisher.

Gothic Support Guy
    Hi

Edit : This post has become useless now as Nameless2 Beat me to it by 1 minute!!!!! Damn you.

Anyway

First to say this is ChessDragon136 here -- my chessdragon136 account wont let me post any more no idea why so i created this account to get this message up -- hopefully imformation can be added to the first post once i can access that account!!

Would also like to say that Nameless2 was absolutely correct in removing that link my apologies and i do ask anyone who did download it please delete the gothic3.exe file that was in it.

Anyway here is a new link : **link outdated and thus removed** without said file.

As for copyright all files in there are either microsoft development tools whiich are freely distributed and have no copyright and my batch file so hopefully no problems there.

Please try this and leave feedback -- there may need for 32 bit users to add a line to the bcdedit file to allow 3gb but im not sure as i havnt got anything to test on. Also can a moderator place this link in the first post if at all possible -- so people dont miss it.

Thanks again.
    Last edited by Nameless2; 12-04-2007 at 20:46.

Community Leader
    Lol

Done already myself, but the board lags a little heavy due to maintenance. Might also be the reason for you not being able to post. If that is the case, send a PM and we'll merge your two accounts.

Gothic Support Guy
    Hi
    Now my accounts have been merged and fixed -- Thanks to Glockenbeat and Nameless2 for the quick resolution!! -- i can now get back to the nitty gritty of this. As suspected on XP and Vista 32 bit the boot file needs to be modified to allow the application to use more than the 2gb normal use. Its hard to explain so ill avoid it here!

For Vista 32: Click start and type run in the search and enter
    Type BCDEDIT /set increaseuserva 3072 and press enter.
    Reboot.

For XP: Edit the Boot.ini (Have forgotten where this is but someone will help me out here!!!
    On the partition with the operating system installed add "/3GB" without quotation: See http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/system...AE/PAEmem.mspx for more imformation.

NOTE This has not been tested -- that is for those out there who are able and willing to as i have no 32bit machines in the house any more.

Chessdragon136

What is the chance that the devs can see this fix and create a new, "official" patch to apply the same/similar changes?

Not all of us are comfortable/have the time to go mucking about with our .exe files.
    Core 2 Dou E6600
    eVGA 8800GTX
    2 GB RAM
    Windows Vista Ultimate

Gothic Support Guy
    All this does is add one line to the exe file in the header -- this WILL NOT have any detremental affects on the game itself. However i can understand your reluctance -- and to be honest i do not know.I have yet to see any detremental affects on my computers but whether from the dev's view this is bad is another matter as i do not understand most of the code therefore i dont know but as said i have had no problems and have played 5 hours solidly now without crash compared to running 300m and it crashing by the nearest orc patrol!! I wish they did put this in an official release at it solves soo much in my experiance.

As for time it takes 1 minute ive made a file that runs that applies the changes so for 1 minutes work to get a working game i think its worth it. If in doubt make a backup of the exe file and try this.

Chessdragon136

I still ran "out of memory"

What were your ingame settings, chessdragon136 ?

I run everything on full.

the only thing I can imagine is, that I use some .ini tweaks.
    But only the ones that turn off the shadows for trees and the one that halves the sound cache....

Gothic Support Guy
    Hi
    Can you please check that the exe does have the "Application can handle large (>2GB) addresses" line under the "FILE HEADER VALUES" near the top of the list --- i know sounds stupid but 1 person has already made this mistake.

Im running all settings on full/hi except only 8x not 16x on the anti-thingy setting cant remember the name of it atm!

You on 32 or 64 bit vista or xp?

My specs are 8800gts, 2gb memory, 2.4 dual core processor.

Edit: Forgot to ask what spec machine your running on! And the patch version (assume 1.12). And please dont apply tweaks to the ini file may void this solution i do not know!

Chessdragon136
    Last edited by ChessDragon136; 11-04-2007 at 17:55.

Quote Originally Posted by Nameless2 View Post
    I'm not sure on that, but as he said himself, the ZIP-file contained an executable of Gothic 3. That bit was illegal and that's why I removed the link for the moment.

Apparently the posting of the modified .exe file is illegal though. But posting the tools and a description is not. Bit weird. Therefore I uploaded the package myself again, this time without the exe. No punishment done to the original publisher.
    I think because "modify" a software to obtain "better use" of a product legally bought is legal.

Modify and redistribute a software without the permission of the original author is illegal.

The "law" is formed by several Laws that sometimes interfere between them.
    Bit weird indeed.

Anyway i also have noticed that Gothic use up to 2gb of ram+Swap files and then stops.
    With patch the game do not give me anymore the "out of memory error" but i will try to check if it helps with game performance in high stress areas that can use more than 2gb of memory.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 15 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast