PDA

View Full Version : Xbox Controller In Game Menu Navigation

Kirii
23-09-2010, 11:53
My first tech support post:clap:

I am using a Logitech Rumblepad with x360ce emulation.

The game recognizes the gamepad as an Xbox 360 controller. I can move around, jump, attack, etc. no problem but once I enter any menu screen (inv., skills, crafting, etc.) I cannot navigate or select anything.

Is there anyone out there who is using a real Xbox 360 controller and can let me know if their's works. If so I will have to find a different version of the emulation software.

Thanks for any help.

As a side note. I am running it on a GTX 260 with a AMD X4 940 at it runs smooth as butter on max settings.:cool:

ChessDragon136
23-09-2010, 12:01
First of all - congrats not only on your first tech support post but on the first post in the new forums (bar mine but I dont count) :D

I completely forgot about using game pads in game.. have an old one which ill try dig out in a minute and use and will come back, see if it has the same issues..

Can you access the main menu and use it? (which is a simple up down selection...)

Thanks for the feedback, also good to know about requirements, have a GTX 260 myself so knew that wouldn't be a problem but you have a nicer processor.

Kirii
23-09-2010, 12:06
Oh yeah... I guess I was the first poster:D

I have no problem moving the select box in the main menu and can start a new game with my gamepad. Once I enter any menus though it stops working and the mouse cursor appears. Even in the main menu when I enter the Gameplay options, for example, I can't move or select anything.

Thanks for looking into this so quickly!

As a note I am using this (http://code.google.com/p/x360ce/) to emulate my gamepad as a Xbox controller.

lhopital
24-09-2010, 08:05
I just played the demo with an original xbox360-controller and I also can not navigate through the inventory menu or the skill or mission screens. I hope this will be fixed when the game comes out.
I also noticed that you can not walk in a 360 circle but only in eight directions as if you were using a keyboard.
The rest of the game runs quite well and it's fun to fight using a controller, I also think the battle system is way better than in previous gothic-games.

Kirii
24-09-2010, 08:54
Thank you for that information lhopital!

So the problem is with the demo and not my x360ce software.

I also hope it is fixed for the full game. The combat is a lot more fun with a controller than the keyboard/mouse.

apoc_reg
24-09-2010, 16:02
confirmed for me to

Game works great with the wireless 360 controller BUT the UI and menus seem to be missing.

Hopefully just from the demo version? I really wanna play the game on my 1080p tv with my PC maxed!

Kirii
26-09-2010, 04:24
Okay, found a way to get the full xbox UI working but it involves cheating:eek:

Add this line before the last </Inputs> switch at the end of you Input.xml file. The file is located in you Documents->ArcaniA - Gothic 4 Demo folder.

<Input command="cheat menu" >
<Key code="41" />
<Activation type="first active" />
</Input>

You can then pull up a cheat menu using the ~ button. The second choice is for UI. Set it to Xbox and hit esc.

There are of course many more options to play with and you may use those at your own discretion.

edit: I have no problem in game but once I enter the options menu I crash. Also, I can't seem to figure out how to save using the Xbox ui.

apoc_reg
26-09-2010, 19:31
I just played the demo with an original xbox360-controller and I also can not navigate through the inventory menu or the skill or mission screens. I hope this will be fixed when the game comes out.
I also noticed that you can not walk in a 360 circle but only in eight directions as if you were using a keyboard.
The rest of the game runs quite well and it's fun to fight using a controller, I also think the battle system is way better than in previous gothic-games.

I have a wireless xbox 360 pad and for me movement IS fully analogue. Its not Just 8 directions.

Thanks for the UI tip! Will try it now

apoc_reg
12-10-2010, 09:12
Just to let people know this trick works on the full version too. But now you can also save with the xbox UI in place :clap:

Still dont try and enter options though as it'll crash.

Kirii
12-10-2010, 10:44
yeah, still crashes for me too, but at least the save option is there now.

Kirii
12-10-2010, 11:39
http://img87.imageshack.us/img87/3617/arcania2010101219590653.th.jpg (http://img87.imageshack.us/i/arcania2010101219590653.jpg/)

Interesting menu with xbox ui activated :)

We've got DLC to look forward too:clap:

Another thing you will notice is there is no way to exit the game using the xbox ui. I guess the xbox just have a quit game button or something...?

ChroniX Radio
13-10-2010, 08:41
Playing on Xbox Pad and having same issue that menus and system messages won't react on any button press.
And I have the wierd problem that the "holster weapon" function stopped working after the intro level inside the cave.

Tried to fixed it via input.xml but no way to get it working.
What makes me wonder is that the option "holster" is only available for Gamepad settings while all other options are listed for Keys and Gamepad.
I searched for a keycode of "f"-button which works for holster weapon on keyboard but the keycodes inside the xml are not ASCII, UTF or UNICODE format.

At all a Mod on german forums "promised" to host a workaround for Gamepad or the Game gets an update for Ingame Pad-config.

So can you guys holster weapons via gamepad button "a" ?

Another thing you will notice is there is no way to exit the game using the xbox ui. I guess the xbox just have a quit game button or something...?
Can't second that, pressing "Back"-button opens mainmenu and you can select save, exit etc.

apoc_reg
13-10-2010, 09:00
To holster you just hold down the A button. That works for me right up to where i am so far

Xbox games dont have an exit option which is why there isnt one on the 360 UI!

Also found that FMV's dont work (are skipped or cause a crash) when you have the xbox UI activated. exiting the first island is the first point this may happen so switch back to PC UI for that.

Hopefully this is all just in the short term until Spellbound properly implement the Gamepad UI in the PC version as promised :ok:

ChroniX Radio
13-10-2010, 10:25
Ah, thx for your reply on the holster prob.

I missunderstood that you guys were using a special Xbox interface so forget my comment about the shutdown ;)

I'm using the standard PC interface with a wireless mouse next to my couch to change equip and that things were the pad doesn't work.

apoc_reg
13-10-2010, 10:52
If you follow the steps in Kirli's second post you wont need your mouse anymore :ok: