PDA

View Full Version : The Guild 2 - Renaissance FAQ

nirvana
22-07-2010, 14:28
FAQ for The Guild 2 - Renaissance

Because there are occuring several questions about this addon again and again, I decided to write the answers to all of these questions down in one thread. I know, it's very late to do so, but until now I simply didn't have any time to do it.

If you have a question and the answer is not among the following answers, please feel free to ask your question into this thread, I will keep the first post up to date.
Also if anything is unclear (maybe because English is not my native language and I make many mistakes;)), please ask.

1. What is "The Guild 2 - Renaissance"?
The Guild 2 - Renaissance is a Standalone-AddOn for the game The Guild 2. It contains new professions, maps, buildings and countless new possibilities as well as ambience improvements.
At first we planned to make a new modification for Pirates of the European Seas (from now on PotES) but soon the mod became very big and in cooperation with JoWooD we were able to develop a fully-fledged addon.

2. Who is developing "The Guild 2 - Renaissance"?
Although some game magazines say that 4Head Studios (the original developer of The Guild 2 - 4Head doesn't exist anymore since 2008) has been revived, Renaissance is developed by Runeforge Game Studio.
Runeforge Game Studio is composed of members of this community.

3. When will "The Guild 2 - Renaissance" be released?
Releasedate for Germany and Austria is 27th of July.
Steam has listed the game to be released on 28th of July. (Link (http://store.steampowered.com/app/39680/))

4. What version of "The Guild 2" will be needed in order to play Renaissance?
Renaissance is a standalone AddOn, which means that you need no other version of the game to play it.

5. Will there be a demo version?
No.

6. Which copy protection will be used?
There will be no copy protection in any way.

7. What are the system requirements?
System requirements will be appr. as high as for the former addon, PotES, but we highly recommend at least 2GB of RAM (2.5GB if you use Windows Vista).

8. What's the developing status?
The game has reached gold-status about 2 weeks ago.

9. How long have you been working on the game?
All together more than 1.5 years, although MoK and KaiserDark have been working on some other mods of The Guild 2 before.

10. How many people are working on this game?
7 + betatester

11. How many new features have been added?
Countless. Here's a short and very incomplete list:
- 8 new professions (Mercenary, Gravedigger, Innkeeper, Stonemason, Juggler, Miller, Fruit farmer, Banker), some of them with 3 buildinglevels and indoor scenes (Merc., Fruit farmer and Miller can not be entered)
- War and imperial fame
- New maps
- The estate is back :)
- ... ;)

12. How much will the game cost?
It's sold on Amazon.de for about 20 Euro
At Gamesplanet (http://theguild2.gamesplanet.com/the-guild-2-renaissance-game-jowood.html) it's available for € 17,99

Answers to questions from users:

13. Will there be further patches and maybe some content updates after Renaissance is released?
Yes, of course we want to eliminate bugs and maybe add some minor features after release.

14. How about the time after Renaissance? Would you be interested in making The Guild 3?
We wouldn't say no if JoWooD asked us if we want to make The Guild 3 and everything else is fine ;)

15. What is meant with the bigger maps and do they have an influence on performance?
Originally the maps should be much bigger than in PotES, but the game became unplayable with the bigger maps (The Guild 2 is not designed for that big maps).
However, the new maps are bigger than the maps from PotES and will provide much more room to build your buildings. The biggest map has 4 cities.
Performance is a bit better on the new maps than on the older ones since we were able to gain some performance due optimized pathfinding.

16. Which features included in the modification "BttR" are also included in Renaissance?
Some, but not all. Renaissance includes the whole project HPfZ, which was developed by MoK and KaiserDark as a sequel to their first mod BttR (HPfZ and RotP were two independend modding-projects which were combined to Renaissance).
But HPfZ was a new project so not all features of BttR were ported to HPfZ.

17. Will there be a manual?
Yes, there will be a manual that explains all new features.;)

18. How did you change the rogue class?
The rogue got two new professions, afaik the old professions were not changed.

19. What has been changed regarding multiplayer mode?
The MP is as stable as the MP version of patch 2.21 for PotES. If there occurs an error we will be most likely be able to fix it after we got some specific files from the host and clients of the game (all errors we encountered during tests could be fixed after we analyzed these files).
I have mentioned a new idea some time ago including a complete resync-feature after an out of sync-error appeared. This idea is not (yet) implemented and it's not clear if it can work. But we won't stop working on this issue after Renaissance is out.

orphee
24-07-2010, 02:12
I have mentioned a new idea some time ago including a complete resync-feature after an out of sync-error appeared. This idea is not (yet) implemented and it's not clear if it can work. But we won't stop working on this issue after Renaissance is out.

Thanks a lot :)

Now i ve got a big question. Is the level editor will be include with the game? :)

fadingathedges
24-07-2010, 07:44
A level editor would be excellent.

If my friends buy Ren, will they also get the PoTES maps, or are they not included?

If I already have PoTES and buy Ren, will I still be able to play those maps with Ren's optimizations?

And the biggy....
Does the "your whole conga line of saves are all corrupt!" bug still plague the game, or is it squashed?

Thanks Nirvana :)

Aragornil
24-07-2010, 10:12
Level editor will not be included since every map is made from scratch and buildings are made in 3Ds Max.

Renaissance includes I think all the PotES maps. If it didn't, you would not be able fully use the "transferred" maps from PotES, because there would not be some things REN requires, e.g. town buildings, resources etc.

orphee
24-07-2010, 10:49
Level editor will not be included since every map is made from scratch and buildings are made in 3Ds Max
:eeek: scratch is this http://scratch.mit.edu/ ?????

Perhaps could we have a little tutorial or the possibility to choose the number and which town there are in the maps.
For POES there is a few map with two towns... If only we can have several maps with one and two only towns we could play more in MP with a minimum of chance of OOS isn't it?

EDIT : Honnestly you ll have a very good point if you develop a small level editor... sorry to insist but a level designer community could be easily created with this tool.

Aragornil
24-07-2010, 10:58
:eeek: scratch is this http://scratch.mit.edu/ ?????

:D no, "scratch" was meant metaphorically... We you're making the map, you have to make sure people can enter the buildings, access the resources, find the right way, avoid walking through the water etc...

Perhaps could we have a little tutorial or the possibility to choose the number and which town there are in the maps.
For POES there is a few map with two towns... If only we can have several maps with one and two only towns we could play more in MP with a minimum of chance of OOS isn't it?

Don't worry, there will be a few (I think 3 or 4) new maps with just one or two towns on it. One of them is specifically a dueling map.

EDIT : Honnestly you ll have a very good point if you develop a small level editor... sorry to insist but a level designer community could be easily created with this tool.

Map making would interfere with the source code and since you don't have permission from JWD to mess with the source code, it's impossible to make a map editor... Although it would be cool, I myself, would appreciate making new maps, but the the whole process would be really hard and complex...

nirvana
24-07-2010, 10:59
Most of the maps of PotES were ported to Renaissance, some didn't want to get ported, but they will obey :p (which means that we try to release them with an update).

Level Editor will never be public, I'm sorry. The editor is just nothing you can call a "proper tool", it takes months to learn how to use it and then it takes another weeks and months to make a map that doesn't crash on startup and is playable (which means: all buildings enterable, all resources available, all roads unblocked, ...)

Crashes won't invalidate all other savegames anymore.

There are some new maps with only one town :)
But the chance of OoS doesn't rise with the number of towns, it's the number of dynasties.

Transfering maps from other addons (e.g. Venice) is indeed not possible. They would be unplayable.

"From scratch" means "completely from the beginning"

Hope all questions are answered :)

Mitchmon
24-07-2010, 11:54
Will the Map "The Hansa" Be there? Cuse thats about the only One I car about from the old one cuse It was the biggest, I believe Bigger the better :D

EDIT: on maps

nirvana
24-07-2010, 11:59
Not at release, the Hansa map was one of the maps that caused trouble :(
But we already managed to export it so it will be included in the first update. :)

Mitchmon
24-07-2010, 15:41
Yea :D I loved the Hansa cuse it was so big, Although I never liked that Pirate Village, Mostly cuse I hate Rouge lol. Even Though Dangiz's Bandits are evil and try to export money from my Church -_- anyways I have a never ending court case going on (no joke it paused lol)

coinlord
24-07-2010, 20:39
ello All,

How Will the program react for those of us with post Vista Windows systems? I look forward to playing the new version, and hope I will be able to.

Jack

Mitchmon
24-07-2010, 21:45
According to steam this game is also made for vista so it should work the same as any other system.

coinlord
24-07-2010, 23:57
post vista= XP or above

Mitchmon
25-07-2010, 00:34
Steam says it works with windows XP and Vista.

EDIT:
I also have a Question, What is the estate? did it hold some Cool purpose or somthing in the game??

Aragornil
25-07-2010, 10:09
Technically (or linguistically) speaking, post Vista means "after Vista". After Vista is only Windows 7 and REN should work under 7.

Estate - Do you remember the expansion to the Europa 1400? You could buy or build an estate outside town, which was château-like structure, where you could do the alchemistic stuff, invent bombs etc. And you could also bombard other buildings with a canon. Well, in REN it's not like this, but it's a nice new building with an interior and a few cool features.

Warlord11030
25-07-2010, 22:09
that alchemist thing was so stupid from europa 1400.

of course you had to own like 3 houses to keep all your money stored though :ok:

Aragornil
25-07-2010, 22:33
that alchemist thing was so stupid from europa 1400.

of course you had to own like 3 houses to keep all your money stored though :ok:

I didn't mean the alchemist profession. When you bought an estate in Europa 1400, you could make some special items like potions and bombs, and you could bombard other buildings.

In Renaissance, you can't produce anything, but you'll have 2 nice features. You'll see ;)

coinlord
26-07-2010, 02:12
I have windows ultimate. I can still enjoy the new game?

Mitchmon
26-07-2010, 02:27
Technically (or linguistically) speaking, post Vista means "after Vista". After Vista is only Windows 7 and REN should work under 7.

Estate - Do you remember the expansion to the Europa 1400? You could buy or build an estate outside town, which was château-like structure, where you could do the alchemistic stuff, invent bombs etc. And you could also bombard other buildings with a canon. Well, in REN it's not like this, but it's a nice new building with an interior and a few cool features.

I forgot to add I only played the guild 2 Golden edition :D
Well one of these features will be inviting some "Female" Compainons? Just a new way to get your heir, AKA Child.

Warlord11030
26-07-2010, 02:32
I didn't mean the alchemist profession. When you bought an estate in Europa 1400, you could make some special items like potions and bombs, and you could bombard other buildings.

In Renaissance, you can't produce anything, but you'll have 2 nice features. You'll see ;)

yeah I know, the guy you hire and upgrade to create new potions and such.

never saw the point of the building other than looking good.

Sikari-Saku
26-07-2010, 09:17
I wonder is the version sold in amazon.de only german or is it english too?
Here's (http://www.amazon.de/EuroVideo-Bildprogramm-GmbH-Gilde-Renaissance/dp/B003OGYG4I/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=software&qid=1280133072&sr=8-1) the one in amazon.de it says:
"Sprache: Deutsch, Deutsch, Deutsch"

So does it differ from the version sold in amazon.uk.co
Here's (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Guild-Renaissance-PC-DVD/dp/B003WE8U0S/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1280133324&sr=8-1) the one sold in amazon.co.uk

Are they somehow different?
Mostly are both english?

Aragornil
26-07-2010, 09:22
I wonder is the version sold in amazon.de only german or is it english too?
Here's (http://www.amazon.de/EuroVideo-Bildprogramm-GmbH-Gilde-Renaissance/dp/B003OGYG4I/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=software&qid=1280133072&sr=8-1) the one in amazon.de it says:
"Sprache: Deutsch, Deutsch, Deutsch"

So does it differ from the version sold in amazon.uk.co
Here's (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Guild-Renaissance-PC-DVD/dp/B003WE8U0S/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1280133324&sr=8-1) the one sold in amazon.co.uk

Are they somehow different?
Mostly are both english?

As far as I know, the game contains both versions. You can choose the language when installing...

Warlord11030
26-07-2010, 17:15
does anyone have an idea of which stores will be selling this in the US?

Madma
26-07-2010, 18:46
Same question again...will Renaissance be available in Italian language?

And another thing, I cannot understand it yet: is this a standalone chapter like Venice (Venice was not translated in Italian language, only the case of the game)? Or can it be applied on PotES?

Aragornil
26-07-2010, 18:50
Same question again...will Renaissance be available in Italian language?

There should be an Italian version.

And another thing, I cannot understand it yet: is this a standalone chapter like Venice? Or can it be applied on PotES?

4. What version of "The Guild 2" will be needed in order to play Renaissance?
Renaissance is a standalone AddOn, which means that you need no other version of the game to play it.

Madma
26-07-2010, 18:54
Ok, thanks. :P I'll wait for the Italian physical version...

knastrarn
28-07-2010, 11:45
Eagerly awaiting the games release on steam in a few hours.

But I'm curious on how long you plan on giving the game maintenance - if it's as stable as Pirates was it's still going to have a fair share of bugs. And since it no longer features any campaign I'll be spending my money on the Multiplayer part of the game.

Got high hopes for the resynch feature but I'd also like to propose that perhaps in the meantime add the option to set autosave timer to whatever you want. Atm autosave is only made every night and so if you forget to save for 30 min and the game decides to go haywire you're pretty much doomed to replay that part or start over. So the option to autosave every 5 min would be very welcomed.

Anyway I'm glad the game comes at such a bargain and I hope you guys get a share of it since you're doing all the work. :ok:

paulmafija
28-07-2010, 13:09
Will you make Teutonic Order which could include Konengsberg, Memel and Riga, in patches which is part of trade route to scandinavia.

(konengsberg could be biggest city, then riga and then memel. Wars could be against Lithuania and Poland) (Mostly i want Memel and sight of Lithuania see in future map, cause there is not many games which includes something related to Lithuania

willanaya
28-07-2010, 15:31
i too would like to know where i could purchase this from in the US. i see amazon across the pond is selling it but the one in the US, is not.
:cry::cry::cry:

Aragornil
28-07-2010, 15:57
i too would like to know where i could purchase this from in the US. i see amazon across the pond is selling it but the one in the US, is not.
:cry::cry::cry:

I guess you don't want the Steam version, do you?

Mitchmon
28-07-2010, 16:58
I have a question, when you own a croft or somthing like that will the Crops Fence dissapear like in POTES?

Aragornil
28-07-2010, 17:26
I have a question, when you own a croft or somthing like that will the Crops Fence dissapear like in POTES?

If it means what I think it means, then yes :D

gyrobot
28-07-2010, 20:52
Why can't I attack buildings anymore?

Void(null)
29-07-2010, 03:34
Not at release, the Hansa map was one of the maps that caused trouble :(
But we already managed to export it so it will be included in the first update. :)

Glad to see this made it in, although the Hansa is a little choppy now and I have been noticing some odd pathing issues... like a teleporting Donkey that had a guy running all around london trying to be it with a stick... many lulz were had by this.

Mitchmon
29-07-2010, 04:38
Why is it that business don't go up for sale as much as in the guild 2 POETS

Aragornil
29-07-2010, 08:31
Glad to see this made it in, although the Hansa is a little choppy now and I have been noticing some odd pathing issues... like a teleporting Donkey that had a guy running all around london trying to be it with a stick... many lulz were had by this.

The donkey is a little Easter egg :)

blaite
29-07-2010, 21:40
Whats wrong with the market supply and demand ?

npc's wont buy fruit farms or windmills or that stond maker building

meaning no items for hospital / church / weapon smith ect meaning an item will be depleted while being required, ergo no supply and demand

RAMjb
31-07-2010, 03:53
I'd also say: making flour is a pain in the back. Only 2 AI spots as workers and long time to create it means a single windmill makes very very little flour (I needed two windmills to keep a fully developed bakery supplied,and even then I had supply problems and not enough production to ensure any surplus to sell on the market).

Maybe adding a third worker spot for the windmill and reduce a bit the time it takes to convert grain to flour would be a good solution?.

And, yes, something to force the AI to build a one or two windmills per town would be welcome. Same for the stone building, no AI builds it, so...

EggiZ
31-07-2010, 13:19
I'm just wondering how to get cannons, they seem pretty and dangerous.

gyrobot
31-07-2010, 18:19
You need a high imperial reputation, by sponsoring mercs and going to wars

Aragornil
31-07-2010, 18:19
I'm just wondering how to get cannons, they seem pretty and dangerous.

You can buy cannons along other special weapons at the Arsenal using the "Buy war materials" measure...

EggiZ
31-07-2010, 23:04
You can buy cannons along other special weapons at the Arsenal using the "Buy war materials" measure...

Ok, but you need to be nobleman for that right? Some nice guy should make a thread with tips for noobs. Great game btw.

Aragornil
01-08-2010, 08:48
Ok, but you need to be nobleman for that right? Some nice guy should make a thread with tips for noobs. Great game btw.

You don't have to be a nobleman, but not a commoner either. You need to have some imperial fame in the first place, to be able to buy the war materials...

EggiZ
01-08-2010, 12:05
You don't have to be a nobleman, but not a commoner either. You need to have some imperial fame in the first place, to be able to buy the war materials...

Ok, please bare with me but I'm not quite sure how to gain imperial fame, as I said, I'm new to the series. But I do like that it is a bit of a challenge to understand everything.

EDIT: I play rogue btw, I'm sovereign also.

Aragornil
01-08-2010, 16:38
Ok, please bare with me but I'm not quite sure how to gain imperial fame, as I said, I'm new to the series. But I do like that it is a bit of a challenge to understand everything.

If you have an estate, meet the foreign dignitaries. Or go to war...

EggiZ
01-08-2010, 18:37

Ok, but that requires nobleman right? I don't got that amount of money and I'm not even Baron yet. Any tips on making money fast? Thanks for helping btw. :)

Aragornil
01-08-2010, 19:32
Ok, but that requires nobleman right? I don't got that amount of money and I'm not even Baron yet. Any tips on making money fast? Thanks for helping btw. :)

That depends on what class you play...

EggiZ
01-08-2010, 19:39
That depends on what class you play...

My start char is Rogue, my wife is a Patron and my girl is a scholar, so I can have what ever I want.

gyrobot
06-08-2010, 03:11

Or pay for more soldiers. But I think the reason why torching buildings is gone is to make bombs more useful

ViviOrunatia
06-08-2010, 23:17
I'm note sure if it's been addressed but I have a Windows XP and a Windows 7 computer, it runs fine on both.

Also I think simply holding a high council position will do it. I had a sovereign who's 160 years old and counting. He's famous for everything and can buy cannons but there's never even BEEN a war, and he's never seen a foreign dignitary.

Randomman
06-12-2010, 14:31
Help me i get a fatal error so i can't even install the game.

delevero
16-12-2010, 10:03
Hi

If you get fatal errors while installing the game, then i belive that the error is either

Your download of The Guild that are damaged maybe during download. THis typical can happen to large files.

or maybe the Cd have become damaged.
Either way your installation data/software is damaged.

If you own a digital copy/download then try to redownload the game.
Also remember to install as an administrator ( right click on the installation file and choose run as admin, press ok )

If the problem continue the try to install on another computer just to check if that is working.
If not then as i said redownload or buy a new copy of the game if its on CD.

Norwegicus
01-01-2011, 00:58
Again i was stupid enough to buy this as well.
But smart enough to wait for 50% off sale.

Except for some new professions and some more produce its the same poor product.

I hope some other company will make some thing similar.
Maybe, though not likely, the sims medieval will make some thing decent to replace this series.
Dont think the sims medieval will have a good economic system, but the guild dont, its not good when in some maps, some produce are NEVER made unless you choose the profession and make it. Then late in a game the marked is flooded with produce and there are no reason to keep playing.
Or when the cities and towns and their surroundings looks like they used 3 minutes when placing the structures and its all a horrible mess with buildings scattered every where.

I live on the europa 1400 memories and hope the guild series will die soon.
At least until some one can make a good version of it.

ramon23035
28-03-2011, 23:54
I've a trouble,from the 1st guild game:i haven't learned how to solve the guilds requests. i've bought the resources,i've got the plans from the guild house but no way.i've tried to leave all the objects in my inventory, in my house inventory and in my hospital inventory.NO WAY!I can become sovreign but i can't be an alderman??why?? help me please.Sorry if this isn't the right post to ask for this.Thanks
Ramon