PDA

View Full Version : Warning message about C:\Program.RPT

Greywulfken
07-08-2004, 19:23
I've only been getting this since installing Gothic 2, so I assume it is related (I haven't added, changed or removed any other hardware or software)...

Preface: The game will ocassionally freeze up (the whole computer, not just the game) or crash to desktop, and searches I've done mention RAM and drivers and motherboards, etc... so I know this happens to other folks.

I think my PC's specs are up to snuff for the game:

I have a Dell Dimension 4600, Pentium 4 @ 2.8 GHz
256MB DDR @ 333 MHz
128 MB DDR NVidia GeForce FX 5200 graphics card
40 GB 7200 RPM Hard Drive

But what'll happen is that sometimes (only sometimes) when I boot up my computer, I get the following message:

"There is a file or folder on your computer called "C:\Program.RPT" which could cause certain applications to not function correctly. Renaming it to "C:\Program2.RPT" would solve this problem." ... and then I get the choice to rename it, which I do.
The suggestion for the new name has changed each time I have gotten the message - so, for example, it has suggested "Program3.RPT" and the most recent time it was Program9.RPT. And again, I never got this message before installing Gothic 2.

I'm just wondering if this means anything, if anyone else gets this or knows what it means, of if it might in some way be tied in to my game freezes and crashes.

Thanks in advance for any advice or feedback.

Lacni
16-08-2004, 11:00
Never heared of something like that. Have u tried virus check?

SOULshifter2
17-08-2004, 11:39
u have dell and dell = crap so theres ur prob and watch out for ur screen it might explode

Greywulfken
18-08-2004, 02:17
Iacni: Yeah, I tried - my virus protection is kept up-to-date

SOULshifter: Not-for-nothing, I have been having issues with Dell - not the product as much as the people/support, but I've been pretty pissed at Dell of late.

My happy ending (knock on wood):

Added 512 MB of RAM to my original 256 MB and at 768 MB my game runs like a dream - whatta difference! And no crashes, stutters, freezes, or error messages (so far...)!