PDA

View Full Version : Dex based sword question

Kerik707
23-05-2004, 04:30
Was just wondering.....

Right now I'm level 16 and mostly ranged based. I'm in Chapter 1 right now with 100 dex and 40 str and wondered if the 65/65 dex sword I'm using gets bonus damage from dex or if it's still str based dispite the fact that it has a dex requirement to use it.

Also, should I be saving Goblin Berries for something later like potions, or just use them all up now?

I wait until I hit 90 dex with training before talking to a thieves guild guy who gives you a +2 dex boost when you show him the thieves guild head-nod, used a +5 potion and 3 Goblin Berries. I then wondered if I should be saving the berries so didn't use any more.

Thanks in advance.
:)

Acleacius
23-05-2004, 07:28
I believe the Master sword gets its damage bonus from Dex, not Str like all the other swords.

Yes Goblin berries are very valuable, one berry makes a +5 Dex potion, if you bother to learn alchemy from the guy in the Harbor district, between FishSoup maker and the Blacksmith.

You might want to search about alchemy if your intrested, I cant remember much 3 Life or 3 mana then you can start learning permanent potions.

liivainimene
23-05-2004, 10:10
yes, to learn making permanent potions you have to learn 3 life or 3 mana potions first but the harbor alchemist doesn't teach permanent potions(at least not in the first two chapters) Sagitta the herb witch teaches all potions.

Xavianz
23-05-2004, 18:47
I'm almost sure that critical from Master Sword is str based, I was using it with 40 str and 140 dex - it would be very hard to miss extra 100 damage, even with my 15% critical chance.

Lacni
24-05-2004, 07:15
I remember reading in this forum bout dex based weapons:

Dex is only important for using a weapon, everything else is the same as other mele weapons (dmg=weapons. dmg+str, for fighting speed and critical hit counts 1h skill.

As for the goblin berries: save them for potions.

dregs
25-05-2004, 09:31
The master sword still needs strength to be effective. This is a very decieving weapon. It is supposed to do 65 damage but My 97 dex and 55 damage xbow can take out an Orc in 2 shots while the master sword and 10 strength doesn't touch them. If I had 97 strength I am sure the sword would do more damage than the xbow.

Whailor
25-05-2004, 09:54
First, there is absolutely no point whatsoever to waste King Sorrels on such insignificant potions like stat increasing potions. Only permanent potions woth brewing are health and mana potions, depending on the class of course. There is craploads of ways to train stats up to 100, and after that, use the potions and herbs found in-game, to raise the needed stats to totally appropriate level. If you brew stat increasing potions, then you're simply wasting King Sorrels.

Without any STR potion made by myself, I still can get my STR over 200 in any game at any time I play, and DEX close to 200. All the stats I ever need. And at the same time, because I use King Sorrels only to make health/mana potions, I have very nice and high HP and/or Mana, which really matters.

EDIT: And, you still need STR for any melee weapon to get the damage bonus, DEX is only for ranged weapons and some non-combat skills. So if you have 100 DEX and 40 STR and then hope to become a mean Zorro with Master Sword, you can forget it, you will only be scratching the armor of the enemies.

Lacni
25-05-2004, 09:56
That is probably becouse most armors have much more protection against weapons than arrows. So with bow u have 97+55=152-protection dmg, and with sword u have 10+65=75 -protection dmg. I dont know protection orcs have, but u should b able to find it on the net.

Acleacius
27-05-2004, 06:50
Hopefully someone can find the facts cause it seems I remember strength doesnt effect damage on the master sword, the whole point is to have a sword for non strength based charaters :)

Aphazel
27-05-2004, 08:06
I would guess that strength is used for a maximum damage for a dex based sword, while dex is increasing the chance of a critical hit and maybe a bit on how you wield your weapon (like going from blocking to strike) I think with a high dex for it you can wield it much faster than with a normal strength based sword.

Whailor
27-05-2004, 09:12
This has been discussed many times, yet it's not totally clear why some swords require DEX, considering that DEX doesn't equate at all in their damage or criticals or whatever. Skill affects the critical chance, STR adds to damage. Maybe it's because for the feeling of reality, i.e. these rapiers and such type of weapons are elegant weapons, not some brutish tools of destruction (though they're just as effective).

And, they're also good weapons for those more rangery type of people, who rely more on DEX due to ranged weapons and thus would miss on most high-end melee weapons due to high STR requirement. Of course, it would be in their case the 'last effort tool', as it still relies on STR for additional damage. Maybe in G3 they'll make weapons for every stat, or at least as the requirements show.